Depression is not a joke. It’s not easy to deal with and today depression is common among people in different age due to different factors in the society it can be external factor or it can be internal factor.
What is Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)?
Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia) is a long term chronic depression. People who are suffering from this condition feel undying sadness. They find hard to socialize with other people even in a happy occasions. Though PDD is not a severe type of depression it should be address to avoid making it worse.
Symptoms of PDD
Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish the symptoms of Persistent Depressive Disorder since the symptoms will come and go especially if the patient did not sick help from the professionals.
1. Loss of interest in daily activities that they tend to enjoy before
PDD can make someone dislike those things they enjoy before because they are losing interest over things because they are too focus with their own sadness.
2. Feeling down
This symptom is very common among those people who are suffering from PDD. Because they feel so down and sad they tend to withdraw in society and keep themselves own their own.
People who are suffering from depression have hard time to see the rainbow after the rain in short they think negatively over the things in their surroundings. They cannot find hope in any problem they encounter that will result to suicide if not treated.
4. Lack of energy
People who are suffering from PDD have lack of energy to things even how simple it is. They don’t have the willingness to do it because they fell so tired over things.
5. Feeling incapable
This is one if the symptoms of PDD that make the patient more emotionally unstable because they think that they are useless and cannot do good things because they are just good for nothing.
6. Trouble making decision
Since people who have PDD doubt themselves that they can do something they have so much trouble in making decision even small decision. They have also hard time to concentrate on something because they think too much that what ifs of things.
PDD patient are irritable even in small thing and there are time that they cannot control their emotion and they will display anger. They usually have anger management since they cannot control over their raging emotions.
8. Decrease productivity
Depression can ruin someone’s life it can decrease productivity especially in workplace where a lot of stressors are present. It’s hard to deal with depression because it’s you against yourself. You want to work hard but you are burnout.
9. Withdrawal to society
When a person is dealing with Persistent Depressive Disorder they tend to avoid social activities it seems that they can’t stand with a lot of people and they are not able to have fun because of the extreme loneliness they feel.
10. Feeling guilty over the past events
Usually PDD patient is fighting with their own guild over the things happen in the past. They tend to blame themselves that they are the main reason why the unpleasant event happen.
11. Over eating or poor appetite
Depression can lead to overeating or loss of appetite it’s a way of defense mechanism over things that will lead to being underweight or overweight.
12. Sleeping troubles
Due to over thinking people who are suffering from PDD cannot sleep or suffering from insomnia
When the symptoms persist for a long period of time you need to sick medical health from the professionals to manage your situation. DO not afraid to sick help and do not over think things that might make your situation worse.
Causes of Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
Neurotransmitter in the brain plays big role in depression. When it functions change and affect on how they interact with the neural circuits that maintain the good composure of the mood it can be a reason that depression occur.
Stressful and traumatic life events of a person can trigger depression.
Some studies show that Dysthymia is common among those people whose relative is also suffering from the condition.
Some people who are suffering from dysthymia may have physical changes in their brain that’s why they are suffering major depression.
People who are at risk of having of Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
- Having traumatic and stressful life events that hard for you to forget. Such as accident, loss of job or love ones.
- People who have negative attitude over things are at risk of having Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia).
- History of other mental health issue.
- Having relative who are suffering from other mental health problem.
- Uncontrolled emotion that will lead to anxiety.
- Poor quality of life
- Having other mental health disorder
- You can develop chronic pain and other health problem
- Family conflicts and other relationship problem may arise.
- Decreased productivity especially in work or school.
- Suicide tendency.
It’s important that you know how to deal with your depression to still have a good quality life and you can fight your own thoughts. If you are suffering from Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia) don’t worry because there are things that you can do to help yourself and to treat your condition and you can still enjoy your life.
- Try to control your stress: Do not over do things, do not over think because stress can lead to depression. Boost yourself steam and thing positively even there are a lot of problems around you.
- Reach out your love ones: Do not think that you are alone and you need to deal your problem alone. Go talk your spouse or family about your problem and your condition they are the people who can help you to deal your condition.
- Get treatment soon as possible: When you see the symptoms go to your doctor to sick help about your condition so that as early as possible your depression will be managed.
- Consider a maintenance treatment: If your medical provider will advise you to have medication it’s okay to maintain it. There is nothing wrong about it. It can help to minimize the symptoms of your condition.
Depression is a silent killer a lot of people today die because of depression. It’s not wrong to sick help it’s not a sin that you have that condition do not mind others judgment no one is perfect.