Banana is indeed many people on this planet earth. We all love taking different fruits. And for some people, their best fruit happens to be banana. That’s not a surprise since this is one of the most popular fruits in the world. And the fact that it’s even tasty makes it even better. The good thing about bananas is that they are easy to consume. You don’t have to worry about washing them since the fruit itself is enclosed. But for some time now there have been debates on whether a banana is good or not. That’s why we will be looking at why bananas are bad for you.
It’s true that banana is quite tasty. It’s known to be fairly nutritious as well and contains a good amount of antioxidants and fiber. The thing though is that it’s high in carbs and sugar. And this is not a good thing if consumed in large quantities. This is the reason why some low-carb diets don’t allow the consumption of bananas. Is that all there is to it? Well, that’s not all. There is more about bananas that you have to find out. That’s why you have to keep scrolling.
Nutrients Contained in Banana
As mentioned earlier, bananas are a fairly nutritious fruit. It contains some nutrients that are beneficial to the body. More than 90% of the calories obtained from banana is gotten from carbs.
Here’s the thing with banana. When it is unripe starch is predominant in it. But when it gets ripe the starch is converted to sugar. And this is why it’s high in sugar content.
They also contain a good amount of fiber. And it is low in fat and protein.
There are different types of bananas. They come in different sizes and shapes. And the color also varies. With a medium-sized banana, you would be able to get about 105 calories.
Let’s take a look at some of the other nutrients present in a medium-sized banana.
- 3.1g of fiber
- 9% RDI of potassium
- 11% RDI of Vitamin C
- 33% RDI of vitamin B6
- 10% RDI of copper
- 8% RDI of magnesium
- 14% of RDI of manganese
Also, bananas contain a fair share of antioxidants. It also contains catechin and dopamine.
Why Are Bananas Bad For You?
From the look of things, banana sounds like the perfect fruit right? Well, that’s not the case. There is more to what to see. Let’s take a look at why bananas are bad for you.
- Constipation: Well, this is more common to an unripe banana. And that’s because they contain a lot of starch. And the thing with starch is that it’s hard for the body to digest. Also, it contains a lot of fiber known as pectin. And what pectin does is that it does water from the intestines. All these lead to constipation. And it becomes even worse if you are dehydrated.
- Nutrient imbalance: One thing that your body needs a whole lot is nutrients. For the proper functioning of your body, nutrients are needed. If bananas happen to be the fruit you eat the most then you might not be getting what you need. The thing as well with bananas are their high caloric content. If you consume just two bananas you eat the recommended amount of fruit for that day. This means you will not be able to opt for other options.
- Digestive problems: Bananas contain a good amount of fiber. But when consumed in large quantities it leads to an accumulation of fiber. And this can lead to digestive problems. Such as abdominal cramps and bloating. Also, taking too much fiber can affect the absorption of some minerals like iron and calcium. And that can cause a deficiency of those nutrients.
- Weight gain: This is one of the reasons why people on a low-calorie diet wouldn’t opt for bananas. It contains a lot of carbs and calories. And carbs when too much would end up being converted to fat and stored in the body. And this would lead to weight gain. If you take just about 2 bananas a day that’s okay. But taking more than 2 bananas a day would set you on the path of weight gain.
- Sleepiness: The thing with bananas is that it contains tryptophan. Tryptophan happens to be an amino acid that aids better sleep. Carbs that are contained in bananas are said to affect reducing the entry of amino acids in the brain. And this would lead to an influx of tryptophan. Then serotonin would be produced. And that would trigger sleepiness. At the same time, it also contains magnesium which helps in relaxing the muscles. Which might be another trigger for sleepiness.
- Dental problems: So bananas are very high in sugar content. And we all know that too much sugar isn’t good for the teeth. Even though it’s a source of natural sugar it still isn’t a good idea for the teeth. So make sure you avoid taking too many bananas as it can affect the tooth enamel. If you do, make sure you wash your mouth well. This would help reduce the chances of having dental issues.
- A small amount of fat: The fact that it contains a small amount of fat may be a good thing. But then again we all need fat in our body. Even if too much fat in the body isn’t a good thing, having a little is something good. That’s because fat is still needed for the development of the brain and also for good health. That’s why fat is a necessity in our daily diet.
There’s no doubt that bananas are one of the best fruits on planet earth. But then again you must consider the fact that taking it in excess can be bad for your health. So make sure you watch how many bananas you eat a day. That way you can be sure that bananas wouldn’t be a bad thing for you. Hopefully, you now understand why are bananas bad for you.