Tylenol with codeine is also known as acetaminophen and codeine. It contains three types of medication.
- Acetaminophen: A medication belongs to opioid pain treatment, analgesics, or pain relievers, and antipyretics a medication that can treat fever.
- Codeine: A pain reliever that makes the acetaminophen more effective and belongs to the medication narcotic-analgesics.
- Caffeine: This is under the medication called stimulants
Tylenol with codeine is available in different brand names it’s up to you what brand you will buy.
Uses of Tylenol with Codeine
Tylenol with codeine is mainly used to relieve and treat mild to moderate pain such as; headache, muscle pain, dental pain, and menstrual cramps. This drug will work on your brain and signal the body to cope up with the pain you feel. Tylenol can also treat a fever when you are having flu.
Side Effects of Tylenol with Codeine
Like other opioid drugs, Tylenol with codeine also has side effects on people who are taking it. It can be mild or severe. The following are the side effects.
Drug allergic reactions such as feeling unable to breathe, hives, swelling in the tongue, face, throat, and lips.
- Flat and clamorous breathing
- Bird brain and feeling faint
- Feeling bewildered
- Stomach pain, nausea, and do not have an appetite
- Have dark-colored urine
- Long-term use of Tylenol with codeine can cause infertility in both men and women.
- Red rashes on the skin
When You Should Call Your Medical Provider?
If side effects are persistent call your doctor or seek medical attention as soon as possible. The following are the severe side effect of Tylenol with codeine.
- Severe skin problems such as; peeling, blistering, and rashes that spread in the wide area of the body.
- Severe abdominal cramps
Who is prone to serious side effects and should avoid Tylenol with codeine?
The seriousness of side effects may vary from person to person but some people are more at risk of having the serious side effect of Tylenol and codeine.
- People who have abdominal conditions: Codeine has this characteristic that can make the abdominal problem worse. If you are suffering from inflammatory disease in your abdomen it’s better to talk to your doctor about your medication.
- People who are frequently drinking alcoholic beverages: If you are a heavy drinker Tylenol with codeine is not for you. Acetaminophen can increase the risk of liver damage if you take it when you frequently drinking alcohol due to certain chemical reactions.
- People who have a problem with breathing: Codeine can suppress breathing. If you have asthma and other breathing condition, you need to discuss this with your medical provider.
- People who are frequently suffering from constipation: Codeine can cause severe constipation. If you are prone to constipation, you need to avoid this medicine but, if your doctor order you to take this medicine it’s better you follow a healthy diet plan. Eating plenty of foods that are high in fiber can help minimize the side effect if it can’t be avoided by
- People who are suffering from the liver problem: Since acetaminophen demand more functions from liver it can cause more problem to those people who are suffering from the liver problem you might need to discuss it with your doctor.
Things you should remember before taking Tylenol with codeine
- A serious case of asthma and other respiratory problem
- Have a problem with digestion and having frequent constipation
- Tylenol with codeine should not be given to someone who is younger than 12
- Do not take Tylenol with codeine if you have undergone surgery recently.
- Tell your doctor that you have the following condition before taking the medicine liver problem; addiction to drugs and alcohol, urination problem, problems with kidney, pancreas, and gallbladder.
- If you are taking Tylenol do not breastfeed
- Tylenol is not good for those who have a brain tumor and head injury
- Alcohol intoxicated
Taking Tylenol with Codeine
You can take this drug by mouth. You should always follow your doctor’s given dosage while taking this medicine because it can cause addiction and drug dependence, it can also damage your liver and even can cause death.
It’s better to use Tylenol when you feel the pain at first occurrence because if you use Tylenol when the pain is severe it may affect you anymore.
Tylenol with codeine is not advisable to use often because long term use of this medicine can cause withdrawal reaction. When you are having a withdrawal reaction you may feel the following; feeling restless, runny nose with watering eyes, nausea, and muscle pain. It’s better to ask your doctor first before stopping the medicine to avoid withdrawal reactions. Your doctor may reduce the dosage of Tylenol gradually until your body is adjusted and ready to stop the medicine permanently.
When you are taking Tylenol with codeine, do not drive. Ask a companion to drive for you. If you are not with someone, it is better to ride public transportation or stay at home and take some rest to avoid an accident because dizziness will happen at any time in anyplace.
What You Can Do If You Miss The Dose
Tylenol is to relieve pain, so nothing to worry about the dose because you can take it when you feel pain. Please note that taking this drug when you do not feel any pain in your body is not safe. Also, do not take two doses of Tylenol just to get the pain away. It can endanger your life.
What To Do If You Get Overdose?
Go to the nearest hospital if you feel the symptoms of drug overdose such as:
- Muscle pain
- Very shallow and slow breathing
Drug overdose is a serious thing. It can cause death and requires immediate medical attention
Keep out Tylenol with codeine medicine away from children and do not ever share Tylenol with other people because Tylenol is not for everybody.