Insect infestation can be very annoying especially when you have tried to make them go away all to no avail. Have you ever heard of peppermint oil insect repellent? Most people who have tried this spray gave positive reviews so today we decided to show you easy steps on how to make peppermint oil spray for repelling insects. This spray serves as a natural repellent for flying insects and mosquitoes. One good thing about using peppermint oil spray is that its scent is refreshing and energizing to adults and kids but bugs do not like the oil. It also emanates a cool sensation during hot days making it perfect for summer use.
Some people prefer using peppermint oil directly on their clothing, ankles, neck, or wrists when going outdoors. You can also use it as a major ingredient for insect repellent sprays which is very easy to prepare and other essential oils can be added to increase the spray durability and to widen its reach, meaning to ward off different bug types. several other essential oils can perform the same function but we are focusing on peppermint oil which tops the list.
How To Make Peppermint Oil Spray For Repelling Insects
First, there are some ingredients needed here and they include;
- A quarter cup of boiled or distilled water
- Two teaspoons witch hazel
- Two teaspoons vodka
- Twenty-five drops of peppermint oil
- Ten drops of the essential eucalyptus oil
- Ten drops of the essential lemongrass oil
- Ten drops of the essential clove oil
- Spray bottle
Make sure to use undiluted, pure essential oil for maximum effect.
- Add a quarter cup of boiled or distilled water into your spray bottle
- Measure out 2 teaspoons of vodka and hazel. They will help the water dispersion of your essential oils and also allow the scent to last longer on the skin.
- Add twenty-five drops of your peppermint oil into this solution and mix them by shaking the bottle.
- At this point, you can begin to pour in the other essential oil. This will increase the different bug types that will be repelled and also increase the effectiveness of the spray. Bugs hate the natural scents of eucalyptus, lemongrass, and clove too. It was discovered through one study that clove oil can repel three varieties for as long as two to four hours.
- Before you apply your spray shake the bottle well to ensure proper mixture. Then you can now spray this on your exposed skin. Have in mind that excessive use of this spray can result in skin irritation. You can deal with this by washing your skin with water and soap.
Take note: Peppermint oil spray can also be used on children. If after using this spray there are no positive results then you might increase the quantity slightly. But remember that the quality of your purchased oil plays a role in the efficiency of this mixture but y good quality product.
How Else Can You Avoid Bug Bites
- Nobody wants bugs biting into their skin and apart from arming your skin with insect repellant, there are some other ways to keep the bugs away.
- When leaving your house wear loose-fitting light-colored clothing. Also, do not wear damp or wet clothing as some bugs are attracted to this.
- Ensure that your ankles, legs, feet, and arms are properly covered by your clothes.
- Mosquitoes and most insect comes out to play at dawn and dusk, you can do yourself good by staying indoors during these times.
- Citronella candles are useful as add on outdoor protection. If you usually use sunscreen then do so and allow it to dry before going on to rub your insect repellant.
- Avoid wearing perfumes and scented lotions outside.
- Keep your surroundings clean. Gutters, pots, planters, wheelbarrow, and birdbaths with stagnant water are conditioned breeding places for mosquitoes, do away with them.
- Cover your drinks or food.
- Hang nets over your bed. This is especially true for campers. Purchase the net that has been treated with the insecticide pyrethroid.
- Pay close attention to outbreak alert; public reports are usually made whenever there is an outbreak of a bug caused illness. This is to alert the general public to take proper precautions.
When All Fails
Sometimes human efforts fall short and bugs may end up biting you but don’t worry if this happens because there are available and easy treatments for this.
Painful bites are usually taken care of by over the counter medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Itching bites can be sorted out with a pack of ice or an anti-itch lotion from the local drug stores, an example in s oral antihistamine or hydrocortisone
Know that you know how to insect repellant sprays you should not be a victim of more bug bites. However, one thing you need to know before exiting this page is that our skins are of different types so some oils might not sit comfortably on your skin. What we mean by this is that your skin might react to peppermint oil. If this happens or if you are already aware of this then you should opt for other oil that can perform this function.
Some of this oil is arborvitae, catnip, cedarwood, citronella, lavender, eucalyptus, lemon eucalyptus, litsea, lemongrass, thyme, peppermint, patchouli, and vetiver. Go for what suits your skin best. While almost the same steps on how to make peppermint oil can be used for most oil it is best to find out specifically to avoid doing it wrong.